Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Top 5 Photography Tips


I'm no photography pro, I barely know half of what my NikonD3100 can do, but what I do know is that I have a love for taking photos.  I guess I could call myself a shutterbug.  I always have a camera on hand, whether it's my iPhone, my small Sony Cybershot or my DSLR.  I just never want a photo opp to pass me by!  Anyway, as much as I take pics I have developed sort of a routine for the way I handle my cameras and approach my photo set ups.  These small tricks have really helped me capture some great shots.

1.  Don't be afraid to turn your camera.  I like horizontal shots, but turning the camera vertical or even on small angles can add a bit more excitement to the end product!

2.  Get down, get down, get down...especially when photographing children.  It's important to capture some moments from the level of the subject instead of always shooting them from above.  It usually seems to add a nice perspective to the completed shot! 
This has been and probably always will be one of my favorite photos of my son.  It was taken at Trunk Bay on the island of St. John USVI.  I took it with my little Sony Cybershot (a simple point and shoot digital), but I followed the previous two tips I mentioned.  I turned the camera vertically so I could capture Scott, the beach and the island in the background, and I got down on a level that worked to achieve all of this (my hand with the camera was just about touching the sand).  I'll let you in on a secret too,  the sun was so bright that day that I could barely see my camera screen so I really just held the camera low and shot a bunch, without seeing the framed photos before I shot them.  What luck right?!?!?!  Which brings me to my next tip.


3.  You have a digital camera without film so don't be afraid to take multiple shots of the same thing.  I always do this and then choose the nicest out of the bunch at a later time.  There are usually only slight differences between the photos, but they could be differences that make or break how happy you are with your photo, so click, click, click!

4.  Turn off that flash!  Try using natural light as much as possible, it really makes for a better photo in most cases.  I'm still figuring how to compensate for low light with my big camera, but I'm getting there.  Honestly though, the shots without the flash always turn out to be the ones I like better!

5.  Have fun!  Don't be too serious about your photo list.  Yes, there are always certain shots you'd like to capture while on vacation or while attending special events, but always remember to catch the details, a laugh from a relative, a sleeping pet, a close up of that graduation tassel.  Anything that helps your final album tell a complete story will be a positive element.  Remember, your shooting in digital, you can always delete what you don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment