Sunday, September 2, 2012

Asbury Park

Last week I finally took a couple days and went to visit my friend Anthony in Asbury Park, NJ.  He moved there about 3 years ago and I still hadn't seen his new place.  He's made the trek out to PA to visit us more than a few times and I felt I really needed to make this work, to enjoy time with him as well as some time without the kids.  Anthony and I met in college about 12 years ago and have remained close ever since.  We went from seeing each other all the time back in those days to only a few times a year these days.  It's always nice to get together though and feel like no time has passed at all.  We still laugh at old stories and crack up at new ones.  He's a fantastic person to hang around with!  We had a fun time just talking, eating (of course) and relaxing at the beach.  I wish weekends like this could happen more often but I'll take them when I can get them!
Asbury has had it's share of ups and downs, and it doesn't always get a good wrap.  Despite things I had heard, I thought it was a great place to visit, plenty of nice beaches, restaurants and entertainment.  I think it's on it's way back.

This is the famous Wonder Bar.  Besides the humongous cartoon face painted on the side of the building, an icon of Asbury Park... I have no idea what it's famous for.   Anyone....anyone?  

It could be the fact that they have a super awesome Yappy Hour for doggies and their owners.  This place was packed with canines drinking beer...OK maybe it wasn't beer.

Do you know who got his start here?

Reminders of days gone by...glory days maybe?

I made him pose like that, corny I know.  He'll do anything!

Ahh, a beautiful morning at the beach!

We stayed almost all day...Anthony soaked up all the sun had to offer.

I on the other hand, hid from the 3:00 rays under my towel...typical redhead

Unfortunately the only shot of the two of us from the weekend, but hey...we look relaxed!

OK, not exactly in Asbury Park, but Neptune is close...definitely my 2nd favorite pizza in NJ behind Mack and Manco

Cracker thin, loaded with cheese.....YUM!

We definitely ate here more than once and ordered the same thing both times....check out my previous post http://www.thecurlyorange.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-best-gelato.html





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment